By : Mohamad Firdaus Zakaria
What is a great way to teach children? Usually teachers and parents would teach them in a way which they perceived that the children would be able to understand what is taught to them. According to Margaret Wing (2006), children are versatile. This is because most teachers in kindergarten classes have implemented the usage of several teaching methods to ensure that every child is learning things they need to know. Teaching methods are designed for excellent children as well as children who are slow learners because it combines various teaching strategies.
There are seven children’s learning styles which should be acknowledged by teacher prior to them beginning teaching.
- Visual – They can be taught better through drawings, verbal and physical imagery. Tools include models, graphics, charts, photographs, drawings, multimedia, and texts with pictures/charts/graphs.
- Aural – They love music, but they are also sensitive to sounds in their environments. They may study better with music in the background. Tools include musical instruments, music, and also radio.
- Linguistic – Children are using words effectively. These learners have highly developed auditory skills and often think in words. They like reading, playing word games, making up poetry or stories.
- Kinesthetic – Children are keen to the senses of body awareness. They like movement, making things, touching. They communicate well through body language and can be taught through physical activity, hands-on learning, acting out, and role playing.
- Logical – Children who think conceptually, abstractly and are able to see and explore patterns and relationships. They like to experiment and solve puzzles. They can be taught through logic games, investigations, and mysteries.
- Interpersonal –These children learn through interaction. They have many friends, empathic towards others, as well as street smarts. They can be taught better through group activities.
- Intrapersonal –These children tend to shy away from others. They’re in tune with their inner feelings; they have wisdom, intuition and motivation, as well as a strong will, confidence and opinions. They can be taught through independent study and introspection.
Children learn by themselves
Based on these unique learning styles, teachers can create various teaching methods in order for the child to enhance their understanding. In Kolej Perkembangan Awal Kanak-kanak, there is a subject called Pedagogy Education DTM 301 which offers ways, techniques and methods of teaching children in a form of lecture and practical. This helps students to have better understanding on the teaching methods to children through lecture, thus apply the acquired knowledge by practically perform the tasks of teaching in Kindergarten and Childcare.
Children learn in groups